I absolutely love Russian crepes, or blini as we call them. You can make sweet or savory crepes or even eat them plain. These Avocado and Crab Stuffed Crepes are great savory crepes which can be eaten for breakfast, lunch or dinner, or all three. 🙂
I served these Avocado and Crab Stuffed Crepes at a get-together with a few friends (my taste testers) and they were a big hit! I only had one crepe left to save for later. It refrigerated well and was still good the next day. They don’t last long, so I can’t tell you exactly how long they would last in the refrigerator.
My Russian grandma taught me how to make crepes a couple of years ago. It took a while before I actually tried them out myself because making crepes seemed too intimidating. It’s actually not hard at all! The trickiest part was keeping my pan from getting too hot after I had been cooking for a while.
As with most home cooking, my grandma didn’t have exact measurements. You just add more flour or add more water or milk until you get the right consistency and it’s always different.
I found a video tutorial on how to make Russian crepes with a great recipe (using exact measurements) from Natasha’s Kitchen, a Ukrainian food blog. The recipe includes a filling but I just used the crepe recipe for my crepes. Look at her video tutorial to see how easy it is to make crepes!
After making all of the crepes, I made my avocado and crab filling. Put a spoonful of it right in the center of the crepe.
Then spread it all over the crepe.
Fold it over once.
Then fold it over again.
- 8 oz imitation crab meat
- 2 small avocados
- ½ red onion, diced finely
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Flat-leaf parsley
- Make the crepes using Natasha's Kitchen recipe.
- Mash the avocados and lemon juice in a medium bowl with a fork.
- Dice the onion and mix with the avocados.
- Chop the crab meat into bite size pieces and mix with the avocados.
- Add garlic powder, salt, and pepper and mix.
- Place a spoonful of the mixture in the middle of a crepe then spread it out over the whole crepe. Sprinkle a little parsley on top.
- Fold crepe in half then fold in half again.