Every time I go to the new-and-improved Kroger close to my house I look forward to trying a new recipe, a new cheese, and maybe even sushi (if I get lucky). They have a small station specifically for cooking something up and giving it out as samples. Of course I’m not a fan of everything I try but one day they had a dish called “Harvest Rice” and I liked it enough to grab the recipe! It was the inspiration for this cranberry almond chicken and rice.
The dish was so comforting, creamy, slightly sweet, and slightly crunchy. It was healthy enough that I thought it was a perfect fall recipe to share. Of course, the recipe was modified but the qualities of the dish are the same: comforting, creamy, semi-sweet, and crunchy.
By adding chicken and vegetables to the original recipe, this dish became an easy one-pot kind of meal. This Cranberry Almond Chicken and Rice was not originally a Crock-Pot dish but after spending hours boiling a whole chicken and then removing the bones, I realized this would be a perfect dish for a Crock-Pot! (Minus the whole chicken part…)
It’s very easy to modify this recipe for the kind of protein and vegetables your family likes. Don’t be afraid to get creative!
This recipe makes a lot of servings. You can either cut the ingredients in half or just freeze some of it. I was eating this for over a week so I ended up putting some in plastic containers and in the freezer. Then I just microwave on high for 2-4 minutes (time will vary depending on the size container you use) and dinner is ready! I suggest putting them in single-serving containers so you only reheat what you will eat.
- 1 lb chicken thighs, boneless and skinless
- 1 lb chicken breasts
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 1 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 1 cup brussels sprouts, chopped
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 8 oz baby bella mushrooms, chopped
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- 2 cups brown rice
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp butter, unsalted
- ⅓ cup sliced almonds
- 3 cups chicken broth, low sodium
- Put chicken, celery, carrots, brussels sprouts, onion, oregano, salt, pepper, and 2 cups chicken broth in a slow cooker.
- Cook on high for 2.5 hours.
- Shred the chicken with 2 forks as much as you can.
- Add in mushrooms, cranberries, rice, brown sugar, butter, and 1 cup chicken broth. Mix well.
- Cook on high for 1.5 hours.
- In the last 10-15 minutes, add in the almonds.
- Season with more salt and pepper to taste.