There are various ways of making French toast. You have those that use any bread they have on hand, those that use King’s Hawaiian sweet bread, and others only use Challah bread. My mom actually uses a French baguette to make smaller French toasts which don’t even require a fork for eating them. And I have my own way.
I like to use cinnamon bread. Cinnamon always makes everything better and the bread is denser than a usual loaf of sandwich bread, which is perfect for French toast.
I also like to slice the bread into “sticks” and stack them up, like Jenga. Who says you can’t have fun while cooking..or eating? French toast sticks are way more fun!
Dash, our kitten, couldn’t wait to get his paws on these!
- 2 slices cinnamon bread (I like Pepperidge Farm or Thomas' Cinnamon Swirl Bread)
- 2 egg whites or 1 whole egg
- 1.5 Tbsp skim milk
- 1.5 Tbsp stevia
- Cooking spray
- Whipped cream cheese for topping (optional)
- Maple syrup for topping (optional)
- Whisk together egg, milk, and stevia.
- Slice each bread slice into 4 "sticks" (8 total).
- Heat a skillet on medium heat.
- Spray skillet with cooking spray.
- Dip each bread slice into egg mixture (cover all sides) and place in skillet.
- Sprinkle the uncooked side with cinnamon and let it cook for about 1-2 minutes on each side. Check for doneness periodically. A side is cooked through when the bread is browning.
- Top French toast sticks with whipped cream cheese and maple syrup (my favorite combo) or your favorite toppings (if you need any).