Making Halloween treats, like these pumpkin Rice Krispie treats is something new and different for me. I did not grow up with Halloween since we do not celebrate it in Russia, but I love this holiday now! It’s so much fun to see little kids all dressed up and excited!
When I first moved here, we did not live in a neighborhood so my parents never had to give out candy. I usually went trick-or-treating in a friend’s neighborhood which made it more fun anyway!
Eventually, after I was too old to go trick-or-treating, my family moved to a neighborhood so then I actually got to give out candy and see the neighborhood kids all dressed up. And now I have my own house and neighborhood. This will be my first time giving out candy in my new neighborhood. Hopefully I won’t be left with too much candy or even worse – run out of candy!
Anyway, these pumpkin Rice Krispie treats are a perfect treat for Halloween. However, I do not recommend giving these out to your neighborhood kids – I’m no expert on Halloween rules but I’m pretty sure it’s only acceptable to give unopened, store-bought treats.
The great thing about these treats is that there is no food coloring used, aside from the food coloring in the icing or gel that you may use for decorating if you choose to use it.
You also have different options in how you’d like to decorate the pumpkins. You can make a Jack-o’-Lantern using mini chocolate chips or black or brown icing. You can also put a little leaf with green icing or decorating gel. You can also leave them plain with just a pretzel stick if you’re short on time.
I have to share one trick that you must know before making these: wet your hands with cool water before shaping the Rice Krispies. Do not use cooking spray or oil on your hands, this just makes them stickier. If it’s still too sticky, just try your best to make a round shape, put them aside, and then fix the shape in a few minutes after the Rice Krispies cool down more.
Hope you have as much fun making these as I did!
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 4 cups mini marshmallows
- 6 cups Rice Krispies cereal (or brown rice crisps)
- 3 Tbsp pumpkin puree
- 2 dashes of cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice
- Small bag of pretzel sticks
- Green icing or green gel (for leaf)
- Black or brown icing or mini chocolate chips (for Jack-o-Lantern)
- Chocolate sprinkles (for Jack-o-Lantern)
- In a large pot, cook the pumpkin over low heat for 2 minutes to remove moisture.
- Push the pumpkin to the side in the pot, add the butter and melt over low heat.
- Add marshmallows and melt while stirring everything together often.
- Add in cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice. Take off the heat and let the marshmallow mixture cool for 5 minutes.
- Add the cereal. Stir really well and let it cool for just a couple of minutes.
- Wet your hands with cool water and make balls out of the Rice Krispies. Don't worry if they're not perfect yet, just put them aside.
- Once you've made all the pumpkins, go back through and fix all of them if they did not turn out perfect the first time.
- Break pretzel sticks into 3 or 4 pieces and place them in the middle on top of the pumpkins.
- Add a leaf with green icing or gel (optional).
- Add a Jack-o-Lantern face with mini chocolate chips or black or brown icing or the chocolate sprinkles (optional).