I am sure we all have pizza cravings from time to time, or maybe all the time, but we can’t always give in! How about a healthier pizza though? You can give in to a healthy veggie tortilla pizza – any time!
I like making pizzas because you can always make them different – different toppings, different sauces, different cheeses. Just stick to healthy toppings (no pepperoni or sausage) and low-calorie cheeses and you can have a tortilla pizza any time and feel good about it!
I used sweet potatoes in this recipe in order to make the pizza heartier and more filling. Since there is no meat, sweet potatoes are a great, healthy substitute. What are your favorite healthy pizza toppings?
Some topping ideas:
- Bell peppers
- Sweet potatoes
Be careful when eating it though. Since this uses a tortilla and not thick pizza dough, it will not hold as many ingredients. But if you don’t mind getting a little messy [like me] – go for it!
- 1 low carb wrap (such as La Tortilla Factory or Flatout wrap)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil + 2 cloves of garlic, minced (or other pizza sauce)
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1 small sweet potato (or ½ large), chopped & cooked
- Handful of cauliflower pieces
- ⅓ of large green bell pepper, chopped
- ¼ cup 2% milk mozzarella cheese
- 2 Tbsp grated parmesan cheese
- ¼ tsp garlic powder + another ¼ tsp
- Salt & pepper
- Chop sweet potato into bite-size pieces and cook in skillet until cooked through (about 15 minutes). You should be able to slide your fork through them easily, like a regular potato.
- Preheat oven to 425F. Place tortilla on a baking stone or a baking rack. (Note: using a cookie sheet may prevent the tortilla from getting crispy in the center. If you must use a cookie sheet, I suggest baking the tortilla on its own first for about 2 - 5 minutes to crisp it up.)
- Rub olive oil onto tortilla.
- Spread minced garlic & sprinkle with ¼ tsp garlic powder.
- Arrange your toppings as you would like them and season lightly with salt, pepper, and more garlic powder.
- Top with cheese.
- Bake for 12 - 15 minutes, until cheese is melted and tortilla gets crispy.
I used olive oil and garlic mix as the "sauce" in order to prevent the tortilla from getting soggy. If using a pizza sauce, try not to use too much.